eSERVICE NFC

Do you need more information?

  Parcours de ville de Confolens
  Mairie de Confolens
  Place de l'hôtel de ville
  16500   Confolens

  Tel.   +33 5 45 84 01 97

  email:   tourisme@cc-confolentais.fr

  site Web:   http://www.mairie-confolens.fr/fr/

History Confolens

  The rich heritage

History of Saint-Germain-de-Confolens

St-Germain and its castle

Walking Tour

The historical city center

The edges Goire

Saint Michel

The Fontorse

Saint Barthelemy

Walkways Blossac court to magistrates court

Saint-Germain-de-Confolens

events

Fridays in summer

Farmers markets

The music festival

City Confolens

(Ville de Confolens)

  Confolens is a city steeped in history. Its keep, its Romanesque churches, half-timbered houses and the many mansions are the jewels. At the corner of every street, the rich history of Confolens is written in stone. Since 2008, the Community of Municipalities of Confolentais features the national label: Art and History. This label recognizes the rich heritage Confolentais (architecture, landscape, local memory, contemporary art ...). Discovery tours of the City of Confolens and Confolentais are held regularly in the company of a tour guide licensed by the Ministry of Culture (by reservation at the Tourist Office of Confolentais). During your visit, take time to walk the streets of the city. The panels affixed to the remarkable buildings will introduce you to the architecture and history of Confolens. A tour will help you discover the wonders of the city at your own pace.

Confolens - GPS Point

(Confolens - Point GPS)

The dam on the Issoire

(Le barrage sur l'Issoire)

  The dam is part of the implementation of the drinking water supply network of the population. Indeed, in order to provide the residents of Confolentais, it was necessary to be an important water reserve. The Issoire proved to be the only source sufficient to meet this objective. The water union then ordered the construction of a dam that was implanted to the old place called the Charraux, specifically the site of an old grist mill. Built between 1970 and 1971, the dam has resulted in several expropriations, backfilling the left bank of the Issoire and construction of a replacement on the way of the old country road. 15 m high and 67,5m long, it provides drinking water to 19 municipalities in the sector.

The hotel Dassiers des Brosses

(L'hôtel Dassier des Brosses)

  This mansion was built around 1775 by a notable, Joachim Dassiers des Brosses. Built between yard and garden according to the standard, the building, however, had to adapt to existing buildings. This adjustment results in an asymmetry at the front and an axial offset between the gateway and the portal. Sold as national property during the Revolution, it houses the court and the sub-prefecture. Headquarters of the City Hall since 1867, the building was put to accessibility standards in 2012. His staircase with its wrought iron railing, is a listed building.

The place of the town hall and the halls

(La place de l'hôtel de ville et les halles)

  Formerly named place of Mining, the square of smaller size than today welcomed the market in the halls. They were between pharmacy and perfumery. Instead takes its name and its current form in the nineteenth century. This redevelopment is based on the construction of new halls, replacing missing old 1830. Testimony of metal architecture, these inspired Baltard halls were built between 1892 and 1894 on the plans of the architect Wiart. This central area is at the heart of various events.

The Saint Maxime church

(L'église Saint Maxime)

  The Saint-Maxime church, mentioned in the tenth century was the seat of a priory linked to the abbey of Lesterps. Limousin style portal is the oldest part of the building. Dated thirteenth century, it consists of several broken bow rollers resting on a transom decorated with hooks and abutments. Except for the sacristy dating from the sixteenth century, the church was rebuilt in the fifteenth and especially the nineteenth century. The priest Blaudy supervised the work of the tower, the vault of the nave and the north door reusing the stones of the Saint-Michel church, destroyed at that time.

The mansion of the Counts

(Le manoir des Comtes)

  Built between 1490 and 1520, the mansion is made up of several buildings spread out along the street of the Sun and Goire. The strategic location it occupies allows him to control the bridge Goire and rue du Soleil, medieval Grand'rue. Mistakenly called Manor of the Counts, it is actually the tax collectors of residence. It is distinguished by its many frames carved Renaissance style. A city gate, the gate Goire was adjoining the square tower. Now lost, it is discoverable traces of tearing visible on a wall.

Home of the Duke of Epernon

(La maison du duc d'Epernon)

  This half-timbered house of the fifteenth century, situated in the medieval main artery, is one of the most emblematic of the city. The function of the building remains a mystery, and several hypotheses have been: inn trade on road salt, etc. The house is named after the local legend of the Duke of Epernon. It says that in 1619, the Duke would together 300 gentlemen to prepare the escape of Marie de Medici, imprisoned by his son King Louis XIII in the castle of Blois. Split in two in the seventeenth century, it now belongs in its entirety to the municipality.

The Old Bridge

(Le Pont Vieux)

  In the Middle Ages, the Old Bridge is the only bridge to cross the Vienna. It may date from the thirteenth century and replaces fording materialized by the door of the same name. Originally it was equipped with a drawbridge and three fortified towers: the Saint-Maxime tower, the tower of My and St. Bartholomew turn. These towers, very damaged, were destroyed in 1777 to facilitate the movement. Until 1849, when construction of the Pont Neuf, he focused trade flows. Today pedestrian, Old Bridge and its three towers disappeared are missing the emblem of the city.

The hotel Dassiers Brushes - GPS Point

(L'hôtel Dassier des Brosses - Point GPS)

Place of City Hall and the halls - GPS Point

(La Place de l'hôtel de ville et les halles - Point GPS)

The Saint Maxime - GPS Point

(L'église Saint Maxime - Point GPS)

The mansion of the counts - GPS Point

(Le manoir des comtes - Point GPS)

Home of the Duke of Epernon - GPS Point

(La maison du duc d'Epernon - Point GPS)

The old bridge - GPS Point

(Le pont vieux - Point GPS)

The mill Goire

(Le moulin du Goire)

  The presence of a mill along Goire is attested in the eighteenth century. The present building dates for its part of the nineteenth century. It was originally a tanning mill converted in nineteenth-century oil mill (rapeseed and nuts). Built on a reach Goire provides power to the wheel and drive the grindstone inside. The mill operated until the 1960s, when it produced oil twice a week. It is the only mill in the territory still hold his wheel, which makes it exceptional. There is also the typical materials of the miller.

The mill Goire - GPS Point

(La moulin du Goire - Point GPS)

The dungeon

(Le donjon)

  The keep has a dominant position on the rocky promontory separating the Vienna Goire. Square in plan, it was built in the eleventh or twelfth century. This symbol of power has been repeatedly besieged by the Counts of the March, which Boson III, who died at his feet in 1091. In ruins from the fifteenth century, however, it is made by Protestant troops in 1568. A city gate, the Saint-Michel gate, was nearby. It was destroyed in 1790 but there is still a round tower built in a home. The dungeon is now preserved on ten meters high.

The hall or city gate

(La salle ou porte de ville)

  Built in the thirteenth century, the Hall of Justice was in the castrale pregnant or castrum. Its very sleek façade is distinguished by two small twin bays on the 1st floor that lit the room dedicated to the Lord. The room on the ground floor, the assembly hall, occupied the judicial function. A pointed arch door is attached to the room. It is commonly called City gate while it is actually a door connecting the castrum to the city. The door has a stunner, an opening above the transition to defend the entrance by throwing stones at enemies.

The dungeon - GPS Point

(Le donjon - Point GPS)

 

The hall or city gate - GPS Point

(La salle ou porte de ville - Point GPS)

The place of Fontorse

(La place de la Fontorse)

  The place of Fontorse or gushing fountain, named after the fountain in the center. Attested from the fifteenth century, the fountain gets its current form until the nineteenth century. Because of its location on the trade route through the city, the place is bustling since the Middle Ages. Mansions and ancient inns bordering the square reflect its importance in the history of the city. It loses its dominance in the nineteenth century after the construction of the Pont Neuf and the displacement of commercial axis. It now has a residential function.

The Convent of the Poor Clares

(Le couvent des Clarisses)

  The Convent of the Poor Clares, built in 1638, is the second Convent erected Confolens. The sisters support the education of girls from 1658 until the Revolution. In 1792, the municipality transfers the hospital in the building. At the end of the nineteenth century, thanks to the legacy of Labajouderie family, the hospital expanded, renovated and named Labajouderie Hospital. It moved into a new building near the nursing home Pre pond in April 2015. The wealth of the building is its chapel. Built around 1675, it has seventeenth-century listed Monument Historique.

The street of Ansac Doors

(La rue des Portes d’Ansac)

  In the Middle Ages this suburb of the city was attached to the parish of Ansac-sur-Vienne, hence the reference to Ansac in its name. This street is mainly composed of houses of tanners or traders and is characterized by its many framed wooden facades of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Lively in the Middle Ages, the street of Ansac doors known as the street of Sun a decline in activity due to the construction of the Pont Neuf and the modification of roads. One of the city gates of St. Bartholomew area was at the crossroads of Latin Way.

Place de La Fontorse - GPS Point

(La Place de La Fontorse - Point GPS)

The Convent of the Poor Clares - GPS Point

(Le couvent des Clarisses - Point GPS)

The Street of Ansac Doors - GPS Point

(La Rue des Portes d'Ansac - Point GPS)

The Church of St. Bartholomew

(L’église Saint-Barthélemy)

  Built in the twelfth century, the church is the seat of a priory linked to the abbey of Lesterps. His dedication to St. Bartholomew, patron saint of tanners, attests to the importance of the tanneries in the same neighborhood. The nave and portal seem novels, the side chapels date from the fifteenth century and the tower was raised after 1630. With the construction of the neighborhood walls after 1469, the church is found outside the walls. Until 1840 the parish cemetery stretched at its forecourt. The area has since been redeveloped and a square named after a member of the Maquis Foch.

The train station

(La gare)

  Inaugurated in 1887, Confolens station is at the railway junction formed by the line Roumazières- Le Vigeant and the line connecting the Little Mairat Confolens in Angouleme by Champagne-Mouton. The station is built on a standard form issued at the national level: a central body to a floor, two wings on the ground floor and use of non-local materials such as slate. The station, abandoned in the second half of the twentieth century, is now used by the Association of Charente Limousine Railroad for its Vélorail and tourist train operations.

The Church of St. Bartholomew - GPS Point

(L'église Saint Barthélémy - Point GPS)

The station - GPS Point

(La gare - Point GPS)

The sub-prefecture

(La sous-préfecture)

  At its creation in 1800, the sub-prefecture has no building. It is housed in turn in the street GIBOUIN Theophilus, the rectory of St. Maxime area, the hotel Dassiers Brushes and place of Fontorse. It was not until the late 1840s that the department buys land and start building a dedicated building. The sub-prefecture is built on the plans of Paul Abadie father in a neoclassical style and inaugurated in 1852. The Saint-Bartholomew side installation allows vis-à-vis rebalancing of Saint-Maxime, historic neighborhood instead of exercising power.

The Pont Neuf

(Le Pont Neuf)

  The construction of a new bridge over the Vienne is mentioned as early as 1845 to improve traffic flow and safety in the city. This infrastructure was built between 1848 and 1849 as part of the national workshops; it complements the amenities Blossac walkways and streets across the St. Maxime neighborhood. The Pont Neuf is also called Babaud Laribière bridge, in homage to his sponsor, deputy and after prefect of Charente. Its construction has radically changed traffic flows and remains today the only two-way crossing point of Vienne.

The convent of the Récollets

(Le couvent des Récollets)

  Built around 1616, the convent of the Recollects is the first of three convents announcing the Counter-Reformation (or Catholic Reconquest) Confolens. It is located outside the walls of Saint-Maxime neighborhood on a greenfield site. Consuls financed its construction as well as that of the chapel in 1622. Closed to the Revolution, the monastory was turned into a prison for women in 1793, followed by high school and college from 1808. The former convent welcomes today offices associations such as the Festival of Confolens. The chapel was converted into a cinema in 1919.

The Tribunal

(Le Tribunal)

  The first project dates back to court to 1865. During this period, it is envisaged to transform the hotel Dassiers court brushes but it was purchased by the city pushes the department to order a new building. The court is located along the road from Limoges, it is built on the plans of the departmental architect Dubacq and inaugurated in 1868. As many courts, it has a neoclassical façade since ancient references of this architectural style are associated with notions of order and righteousness. The building has been reassigned since the court's closure in 2010.

The sub-prefecture - GPS Point

(La sous-préfecture - Point GPS)

The new bridge - GPS Point

(Le pont neuf - Point GPS)

The Récollets - GPS Point

(Le couvent des Récollets - Point GPS)

The court - GPS Point

(Le tribunal - Point GPS)

The castle of Saint-Germain

(Le château de Saint-Germain)

  The castle is situated on the rocky spur at the confluence of the Vienne and Issoire. The oldest items date from the twelfth century with the old Romanesque keep. It was part of the Province of the Marche and served as an outpost facing Confolens and Chabanais County. It was directed by important families such as the Rochechouart-Mortemart or Sennecterre. The castle as we know it today dates from the first half of the sixteenth century, under the leadership of the family Perusse des Cars. The castle was attacked and taken by the Protestant troops in 1570. When sold as national property in 1793, it is already abandoned for several years. Antoine Sylvain Prevost-Dumarais, owner of the domain Boisbuchet, bought the castle in the early nineteenth century, turning it into stone quarry, which significantly degrades the site. In the course of the nineteenth century, it becomes the property of priests of Saint-Germain and the Diocesan Association of Charente in 1937. It was not until the 1970s and the intervention of the Friends of the Castle of Saint-Germain to the ruins stabilized. The association annually organized volunteer projects dévégétaliser to the site and back walls as much as possible. Community Commons of Confolentais becomes owner of the castle in 1995 and led the last great campaign crystallization ruins between 1998 and 1999. The castle, with its main building and its four towers, form a quadrangle in the center which is located high court. A ground mounted connects the high court in the farmyard. It is in the lower courtyard that is the gateway to the cellars. The site is registered as historical monuments since 1925.

The castle of Partoucie

(Le château de la Partoucie)

  The stronghold of the Partoucie (also spelled Pardoucie) was on the left bank of the Vienne. It already existed in the fifteenth century and belonged to the family Perdoux. At that time, the castle was a square fortress with corner towers, surrounded by moats and accessible by a drawbridge. In 1615, the fief returned to Jehan Pastoureau of Rie. In the eighteenth century, the new owner François Lagrange shaved the castle to build a new main building. This merchant tanner Confolens entered the nobility by buying King councilor. In 1790, the parish of Négrat is removed and the place called the Partoucie is part of the municipality of Saint-Germain-de-Confolens. In 1825, still distinguish the cadastre the two corner towers north and the moat. The castle consists today of the current house, a stable and a barn. The medieval building, there remains only the base of the northeast tower and present ancient moat on three sides of the enclosure.

The Saint-Vincent church

(L'église Saint-Vincent)

  Mentioned in 1185, St. Vincent's church was part of the castle and was enclosed in the walls. It is commonly regarded as the old chapel. However, a recent study tends to refute this idea and instead consider it as a church used by both the Lord and aristocratic families who lived in close proximity to the castle district. She would become the town parish church to all the inhabitants of the village in the first half of the sixteenth century with construction of the new castle. Its Greek cross plan and its extreme simplicity in terms of decor and openings make the unique Church of St. Vincent in the Confolentais. The murals that were there have unfortunately disappeared. The bell tower, built on the transept crossing, was destroyed and then recovered to a level below the original level. At the crossing, the old cupola on pendants has been replaced at an unknown date by a wooden frame. Inside, one can see several remarkable elements: the tombstone of a knight (reinvestment) adorned with a crown patté, a spear and a sword; a war memorial realized by the artist Jean Limousin Teilliet. The church has the distinction of always having the cemetery attached to the transept and apse.

The bridge over the Vienne

(Le pont sur la Vienne)

  The bridge dates from the twelfth century. Before its construction, the crossing of Vienna was by a ford located at the Sainte-Madeleine island. It measures approximately 115 meters long and consists of nine arches. The seventh arch (counting from Sainte-Radegonde) seems more recent since built in limestone while the rest of the bridge is made of granite. She may be replaced a drawbridge. We can also assume, in view of its strategic position, the bridge was also equipped with defensive towers such as Old Bridge Confolens. In any case, he was the bridge tolls to function by imposing taxes on commercial traffic. In 1882, significant work has resulted in the leveling of spurs battery, loss of shelter above the spurs; leveling the floor and installing metal railings. It remains the only crossing point of Vienne Saint-Germain.

The fairground

(Le champ de foire)

  The town counted several fairgrounds during its history. The first fairground, for trade in cattle, was located near the quarry near the ancient gate Marchedieu. But fairground is too cramped over time. The municipality decides to purchase land in Vienna edge, the current fairgrounds, July 1, 1858. On that date, the fairs of Saint-Germain were very popular and attracted a large crowd on the 8th of each month. It was therefore necessary to find a more suitable land to accommodate them. At the end of each show, the animals were transported by the railway line from Confolens to Roumazières and Isle Jourdain via the station of Saint-Germain-Lessac. Fairs declined in the 1930s, leading to the alienation of land in 1935. It eventually turned into sleeping area in 1974. It is now at the heart of the large village festivals, like the feast of May 1st.

The old town hall

(L'ancienne mairie)

  Located place Teilliet Jean, the former town hall occupied a house that dates from the sixteenth century. In 1825, this house belongs to Dr. Peyrot, doctor Confolens. The municipality bought it in 1862 to establish the rectory there. But the priest refused to settle and the municipality ultimately leaves it to the Congregation girls' school of the Sisters of Providence. The school remained there until 1904. After the school closed, the house serves as a housing Post receiver. It was occupied by the town since 1920. Since the formation of the new town of Confolens, the permanence of delegated town hall has been moved to the post office building. The ground floor of the house is now occupied by the Shop Creators. upstairs rooms will be used as conference and exhibition space.

The chapels of Saint-Germain

(Les chapelles de Saint-Germain)

  The village had several chapels in history. St. Anthony chapel occupied the heights of Bellevue; she possessed a cemetery. It is regarded as the first place of worship in the village. The chapel and cemetery were used to XVIIIIth century, when the chapel was destroyed. Another chapel, the Chapel of St. Anne, was near the bridge of Issoire. It could date from the fifteenth or sixteenth century. It is sold as national property in 1795 or 1796 and its walls were used as foundations for the construction of a house. still distinguish in street edge the door of the chapel with its limestone piers Pressac. A third chapel is located in the village street of the old chapel. No word, it is recognizable by its door and two windows covered brick semicircular (these openings are now walled). A fourth chapel, Notre-Dame-de-la-Pitié, is quoted in the text and located near Issoire but no certainty is established. Finally, the fifth chapel of the village is the chapel of the Sainte-Madeleine island.

The old schools

(Les anciennes écoles)

  These buildings, which are on the land registry of 1825 were purchased by the municipality in 1883 and substantially altered to install the mayor and the school. The town hall was located in the northern part of the building and the school in the southern part; an external staircase served as a demarcation between the two functions. The school consisted of a one-room, housing for the teacher and an annex. In the back were two courses, a covered courtyard and a garden. Mixed Originally, the school was transformed into a boys school in 1912. The city council for its part has left the north building in 1920 and moved to the home place Jean Teilliet. The school closed in 1978. It has since been converted into a party room.

The granite quarry at the south entrance

(La carrière de granit à l'entrée sud)

  A granite quarry was located at the southern entrance of the village and began to be exploited in the 1920s a famous granite was mined there for strength and used for ballast and foundations. Career employed a large workforce into the 1970s but it was confronted with two problems: first it was limited in its extension due to its positioning, the other operations generated nuisance for the inhabitants of the town. It was therefore abandoned. There is another career in business: Négrat career on the left bank of the Vienne. A third career is present at the north end of the village.

The Roc Branlant

(Le Roc Branlant)

  Rocky the Rock is located along the Issoire, on the opposite bank of the dam road. The rock is nestled in the vegetation, which makes it difficult to see in the spring and summer. According to legend, the Roc Rocky moves at midnight on Christmas Eve.

Lise Dellac

(Lise Dellac)

  Friday, July 7 - Arènes Crevelier - 8:30 pm - 1 euro Folk

Duende

(Duende)

  Friday 21 July - Arènes Crevelier - 20h30 - 1 euro Latin music

Akan Khelen

(Akan Khelen)

  Friday 28 July - Arènes Crevelier - 20h30 - 1 euro Balkan nomadic music

Ideo

(Ideo)

  Friday, August 4 - Arènes Crevelier - 8:30 pm - 1 euro French pop, reggae, pop

Thomas Sarrodie

(Thomas Sarrodie)

  Friday, August 11 - Arènes Crevelier - 8:30 pm - 1 euro Blues Rock

Producer markets

(Marchés de producteurs)

  Shopping and local tasting of local products in a convivial atmosphere. Thursdays 6th and 20th July on Place Henri Coursaget Thursdays 3rd and 17th August at Les Roches Bleues

Music Festival

(Fête de la musique)

  Wednesday 21st June Ferme Saint-Michel and its surroundings

Program

9h30 - 10h15; 10h30 - 11h15 Open rehearsal of the music workshops of the IME where the schoolmasters of Confolens who wish them can come and share a musical moment

2 pm - 3 pm Outdoor musical siesta. Immediate take-off, in transatlantic, to the countries of musical dreams and music of the world with guaranteed soft landing ...

15h - 16h30 Musical animations, workshops of creations, open to all, organized by the team of animation of the reception of leisure Of the Center Socio-culturel du Confolentais

17h - 18h30 Musical animations / Blind test

18h30 - 19h Scène ouverte

19h - 19h45 EDM with Michel Mathé and Paul Grollier (chromatic and diatonic accordion classes)

20h - 20h30 The musicians of Lo Gerbo Baudo

20h30 - 9:15 pm Scene open

9:30 pm - 11:00 pm Las Gabachas de la Cumbia (Cie O Kazoo of Poitiers) - Cumbia, Latin America

Snacks - Snacks Conviviality - Diversity - Everyone - Participative

Event

A translation problem?

Create issue

  Web applications developed by www.delenateagency.com
Commercial Service
e-OfficeNFC EIRL France
jpverger@e-officenfc.com
Tel: +33 6 86 89 70 77
www.e-officenfc.com

  The information contained on the web pages of eRESTAURANT NFC accepts no company Delenate Agency. For more information please to consult the terms and conditions on our WebSite www.e-restaurantnfc.com